XSolutions scours the internet and brings you the cybersecurity news you need to know to protect your business.
Our mission: “Deliver true Managed IT Services by putting people first. Because, there is no time, for downtime.”
Shocking Stats For 2021
Here are some eye-opening stats from the security company, Varonis:
- 95% of breaches are due to human error.
- 36 Billion records were stolen in the first half of 2020 alone.
- Over 300 billion passwords are used worldwide.
- It takes organizations, on average, 207 days to discover a breach.
- 1 in every 4200 emails, on average, is a phish.
- 17% of confidential files are accessible, by design or not, to all employees.
- Ransomware damages will rise to $20 billion in 2021.
- A business will become a ransomware victim every 11 seconds in 2021.
So, crime does definitely pay as very few cybercriminals are brought to justice. For every hacker that is brought down, there is a slew of others to take their place.
Work with your IT department or Managed IT Services Provider (MSP) to put in place:
1) A Managed Threat Response (MTR)
2) Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR)
3) Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
4) Employ a Security Operations Center (SOC)
5) Introduce a User Awareness Training Program for your employees
Cybersecurity is not a “like to have” in these dangerous times but a “must-have.”
Need help? Email us at [email protected]
Educate Your Kids on Cybersecurity
In a perfect world, children can act innocently, and nothing terrible will happen to them. Unfortunately, the real world doesn’t work like that. Hackers actively target children for their purposes.
As adults, we need to save our children from themselves and educate them on the dangers of the internet. Cybersecurity is as critical in your home as it is for your office.
Below are some things you, as parents, can do to help them:
- Buy a Password Manager and show your child how and why to use it.
- Be a resource for them and encourage them to ask you questions.
- Educate children on the big three scam methods: emails, text messages, and phone calls. Show them examples.
- Teach children to be skeptical and avoid offers that sound too good to be true.
- Lockdown your home network and discuss why you’ve taken the precautions.
- Discuss what information they should never divulge over the phone, in emails, or in texts.
- Let them know that you’re always there to help them and that they can come to you no matter the situation.
Finding – Most Ransomware Targets Families and SMBs
A recent Webroot post says that most ransomware targets individuals and small businesses. The average ransom is $50,000. Press coverage makes people think that only large corporations are targeted. This is not true.
Folks, we are all vulnerable to hackers. Everyone must take cybersecurity seriously.
Watch Out For Holiday Scams!
Scammers are trolling the internet looking for victims — don’t be one of them. Remember:
- It is very easy for scammers to create fake charities with fake web pages. Be on the lookout for bogus charities. Do your research on a charity before donating.
- This year’s supply chain problems make hot toys challenging to find. Bogus sites often announce they have these toys in stock. Please don’t fall for it. Check out all sites before entering credit card information.
- Bogus delivery scams are a hacker staple. Avoid falling for text messages or email scams. Only use tracking instructions sent to you upon the initial sale.
- Never use a debit card for online purchases.
XSolutions is an IT Services Provider serving New York (NY), New Jersey (NJ), and Connecticut (CT). We provide Managed IT Services | Managed IT Security | Backup & Disaster Recovery | Cloud Data Protection | Security Awareness Training. Call (845) 362-9675 for a free consultation.